Additions to the February 2020 Sacramento Newsletter.
1st – There are several changes to Jam Listings on the 2nd page. We have 3 brand new or recently new jams and a couple of jams that have been cancelled for the winter. They’re listed below.
1st Sunday, new jam, 3-6 PM, Treats Ice Cream Parlor, 210 Main St., Nevada City, treatsnevadacity.com This was formerly the Holbrooke Hotel
Jam. See the Newsletter for more info about it.
1st Wednesday, canceled thru winter 5:30-8:30 PM, Porchlight Brewing Co, 866 57th St, Sacramento, 916-476-5384
2nd Tuesday, 5:30-8:30 PM, new, Red Bus Acoustic Jam Song Circle, 802A Reading St, Folsom, redbusbrew.com
2nd Wednesday, 5:30 – 8:30 PM, new, New Helvetia Brewing, 1730 Broadway, Sacramento, 916-469-9889, newhelvetiabrew.com
4th Tuesday, canceled thru winter 6 – 9 PM, Two Rivers Cider, 4311 Attawa Ave Suite 103, Sacramento, Kim A. jam, 916-456-1614
2nd – For those who know musicians who are Amador County High School students, there is a Rotary-sponsored instrumental music contest that will be held March 3rd at the Church of the Nazarene in Sutter Creek. A flyer is attached. Please pass this on to anyone you know who might want to participate in or attend the contest.
Early Bird Tickets End & Music Camp Sing-Ups Begin in February
– February is the last month you can get Early Bird Tickets for the Fathers Day Festival, June 18 – 21. Prices go up in March. The Fathers Day Festival is the premier Bluegrass event in Northern California. You can order tickets on line at fathersdayfesti-
– The CBA Music Camp Instructors and Classes are available online at cbamusiccamp.com. Application forms are available at the same online URL and in the January or February 2020 Breakdown newspaper. Enrollment begins at noon on February 7th.
– Also, contribute as you can to the CBA Youth Programs. It will keep our music going strong! cbaweb.org/Learning/YouthPrograms
Nell & Jim Band, January 31st, Harris Center, Folsom
The Nell Robinson & Jim Nunally Band joins five genre-busting artists together, bringing their audiences joyful music infused with folk, bluegrass, Americana, roots, swing, and jazz. Alt-Roots, Folkbilly–whatever you call it–it’s fresh and original music delivered by an all-star band featuring Jim Nunally on guitar, banjo & vocals, Nell Robinson on flute & vocals, Jim Kerwin on bass fiddle, Alex Aspinall on percussion, and Rob Reich on accordion & keyboards. Harris Center for the Arts / Three Stages at Folsom Lake College,10 College Parkway, Folsom. 8 PM, $27, Stage 3: Scott-Skillman Recital Hall, 916-608-6888, harriscenter.net
Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands, February 9th, Angels Camp
For fiddler, guitarist, singer, songwriter, and Grammy-winner Laurie Lewis, the traditions of bluegrass and folk aren’t so much tools in her hands, but burning sources of inspiration that have driven her through a 30+ year career at the forefront of American roots music. A pioneering woman in bluegrass, Laurie has paved the way for many young women today, always guided by her own love of traditional music and the styles of her heroes that came before. Her 2017 album with the Right Hands was nominated for the best Bluegrass Re-cording Grammy of the year. The band will perform on February 9, 3 PM to 5 PM, $10 – $25, at Dr. Elliott A. Smart Performing Arts Center, 364 Murphys Grade Rd, Angels Camp, CA, http://www.calaverasarts.org/ovations-concert-series.html
Rita Hosking Trio, February 9th in Dixon & March 1st in Grass Valley
Northern California’s Rita Hosking sings of forest fires, culture clash, dishes, black holes and hope. An award-winning and prolific songwriter characterized as “here and now” by The Observer, she’s recently released her seventh album, For Real. Her stories, songs and soul-stirring, country-folk voice are partnered with multi-instrumentalist Sean Feder on dobro, banjo and guitar, and Bill Dakin on the upright bass. Together, they deliver what Acoustic Magazine calls “timeless, unhurried elegance.”
– Dixon: Sunday, February 9th, 6:00 to 7:30 PM, Ross and Gladys Hanna Concert Series, 209 North Jefferson St. in Dixon. $10 tick-ets are available online at eventbrite.com/e/rita-hosking-trio-tickets-88436920209
– Grass Valley: Sunday March 1st, 6:30 PM, Rita Hosking & Sean Feder play at the Wild Eye Pub, at 535 Mill Street in Grass Val-ley. Dinner is available for purchase. Tickets are $15 advance, $18 day of show, and they’ll be available online via at wildeyepub.com.