Vern’s Stage Band Procedure
Vern’s Stage presents opportunities for California-based Bluegrass and Old-time bands to perform at the CBA’s Father’s Day Festival.
The Vern’s Stage Committee is pleased to announce an open call for bands for the 2024 CBA Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley. There are a limited number of slots available from Thursday, June 13 through Sunday, June 16. We expect to fill 17 slots of approximately 35-minute sets each.
Please note that this is a juried competition. As such, all submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges who will determine our final selections.
Band Submission Guidelines
To be eligible to perform on Vern’s Stage, all bands must:
• be based in California;
• play Bluegrass and/or Old-time music;
• have significant experience gigging together;
• not have played Vern’s Stage during last year’s festival (i.e., 2023) with the exception that Youth Bands (bands with a majority of members under the age of 18 as of June 13, 2024) are eligible in consecutive years.
Video Demo Requirements:
Bands must submit a newly recorded self-made video demo submission with 3 songs/tunes representative of the music your band would play on Vern’s Stage. At the start of this video, we ask that you introduce the band, clearly state the date and your location, and then perform 3 pieces in a row without any cuts or edits. You will need to submit your recording as a YouTube or Dropbox (or similar) link. We expect cellphone or tablet quality and not professionally shot videos. Furthermore, we recommend recording your video demo in a quiet location (e.g., living room, backyard, etc.).
In addition, the submission form will ask you to provide the following:
1. a band photo (jpeg formatted, high-resolution/300dpi, approximately 3″ wide);
2. a biography of your band for publication in the festival program (between 200 to 400 words);
3. a list of dates and locations of your band’s most recent 4-6 gigs; and,
4. a list of days/times that your band is available during the festival.
The submission process is scheduled to be open from September 1 until midnight, November 1, 2023. Bands are invited to submit by following the link below.
SUBMIT YOUR BAND!
The submission process is now officially open.
For complete requirements and to access the submission form, please see the: